Friday 12 June 2015

Graduation speech by my daughter



I was missing in action for many days, if you have noticed, as I was busy getting some repairs done and painting of my home. While cleaning the cupboards of my daughters, I chanced upon a sheet of paper which was the graduation speech my younger daughter, Neha had given after her 'O' level graduation from her Alma mater, Methodist Girls' School(MGS), Singapore. I 'relived' the whole morning session I had attended many years ago with my husband, feeling so proud of her! Below is the speech:

Good morning Ms Kon, Mrs Yap, Mrs Sim, teachers and of course, good morning MGS.

It's lovely to be back in school. Back in a school that I love. There are so many things I love about MGS. For one, I love the fact that we are centered on God, because no matter what your faith, these are universal values for humanity. I love that we have MGS primary right next door because that keeps us young at heart. I love that I have had the privilege of spending so much time with friends and teachers in school that somewhere along the road, the line between these two became blurred and teachers became friends and friends became teachers. But more than anything I love MGS for the extraordinary journey it led us through.

The best things about my four years here was the love and encouragement that I received from everyone. And the memories this translated into. I'll always remember the first days of a new term when we'd all come to school especially early, shriek with excitement when we'd see our friends in the concourse, run up to class and choose the perfect seats, from where we could see the whiteboard but the teachers couldn't really see us. And I'm speaking from experience, of course.

And it was encouragement that kept all the Secondary 4 students away from the rooftops of tall buildings. Just when we'd feel like giving up on ourselves, a friend or teacher would remind us of the great job we'd done and our immense potential. And all will be well again. And of course, we'd always remember the track and field and swimming meets, where passions would soar and MGS girls would channel their typical pitch to good use--- the creation of the MGS shriek, akin to the Singapore roar or the RGS growl.

These are the memories that make MGS the great school that it is. Girls come here as strangers and by the end of four years, leave as best friends. The love that is imbibed in each one of us is what keeps us strong and faithful. We strive to do our best because we're taught not to merely settle for what we have, but fight the good fight for what we deserve. We're women who walk by faith, in faith. We're MGS girls.

And this is really the MGS legacy, passed from each batch of graduating class to the next. The determination to excel, the undying desire to grow in faith and the brimming hearts abound with love for one another. These traits define the MGS spirit which infuses itself in any girl who passes the through portals of this grand school.

Therefore, to MGSians present, I'd like you to remember this in your endeavors--- you have inherited a marvelous legacy and it is no coincidence that you have been chosen to live up to it. To the graduating class of 2003, well done, guys! We hung in there together and look where we all are now! We're all going to stay the best of friends and continue on this journey of life together!

To the teachers, thank you for giving yourselves away to us and looking out for us like you would for your own children. MGS is the place that it is, only because you found it in yourself everyday to be energetic and passionate. On behalf of all MGS girls,I'd like to thank all the teachers for their sacrifices and support. Words fail to express my gratitude and I only hope that the teachers, with their uncanny ability to read us, can once again read our hearts.

I'd like to also thank the school administration and the non-teaching staff for being so fantastic with their support network that often, we'd forget to be grateful. But today, we thank them.

MGS was a place of friends, of fun and love. It was our second home, where we grew gracefully and found meaning for our lives. And these things the mind may forget, but the heart will not. And even as memories fade, the feelings will remain forever. And today our hearts confess the debt we owe and the love we hold. For all that, thank you, MGS.

No comments:

Post a Comment