Sunday 12 July 2015

The Power of Gratitude

Today is my husband's birthday, and to celebrate the occasion, my daughter had booked a table in a very nice restaurant. We just returned home after having a lovely dinner, having spent almost two hours enjoying the company of our dear ones. As I write this, I am filled with gratitude, for all the wonderful people I have around me, and for all the wonderful things they do!

I have devised my own methods of increasing gratitude in my life, to be thankful for what all I have. One simple way is to spend a few minutes quietly with myself, usually in the evening, and think of a few things I am thankful for, and also think about a few people(may be one or many) I am thankful to have in my life. I try to do this every day, and instead of repeating the same persons, I try to think of more people and things to be grateful for, thus expanding my arena.

After recognizing the people to whom I am grateful in my life, I try somehow to convey my feelings to them. Whether it is through a short note, or verbal compliment, or cooking something of their choice, I express my thankfulness to them. This makes their lives happier, and as their faces light up with a smile I also feel happier. This may sound too simple, but it can have a big impact on someone's day, week or even life!

While recognizing other people's efforts and expressing our gratitude to them, we often forget ourselves. We are also important and valuable! So during quiet reflection, I also reflect on things that I can be thankful for about myself. It could be that I finally got done with that boring or difficult task I had been procrastinating on, or I lent a listening ear to my daughter's hard day at work. Self-gratitude does not have to be about big achievements only. I could simply be thankful for my good sense of humor, or volunteering my time and efforts, or even doing my exercise regularly.

So power of gratitude is huge, and its effects are far-reaching. We just have to start feeling it, and then express it as often as we can. You will be amazed by the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment