Saturday 19 March 2016

Real process of learning

The real process of education should be the process of learning to think through the application of real problems - John Dewey

I agree with the above statement by John Dewey and firmly believe that unless the education is linked to real problems, it doesn’t serve much purpose. Let me elaborate!

Based on my teaching experience of 32 years, mostly at the undergraduate level, I have seen that to inspire and motivate my students to learn enthusiastically in the classroom, it is imperative to show them how what they are learning in the classroom is relevant to their life, future work and their own bodies! You see, I teach modules like Human Anatomy and Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Nutrition, Dietary Supplements, Psychology, etc. When my students are learning these highly technical subjects, it can be quite difficult for some of them; more so who have not done much Biology in school. But as soon as I incorporate medical case studies and share my personal experiences with patients related to that day’s topic, it starts becoming alive to them. They then start sharing their stories from among the family members, and how they are able to understand it better now! 

So rather than just memorizing the structure and function of heart for example, we shift the focus to real life situations, and learn through understanding the processes behind them. When we discuss the chest pain related to heart attack, how to read ECG and how it changes during heart attack, role of artificial pacemaker or causes of hypertension, our students are more interested in learning as these are common issues they have come across, and hence are better focused and motivated to grasp the finer details about the detailed structure and functioning of the heart. The moment of truth comes when they sometimes bring ECG or medical report of their grandparent in the next class to discuss with me! I then feel satisfied that my job as an educator or teacher is done as I have ignited that spark of learning in them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment