Thursday 16 April 2015

Is this all I want?


Today morning I watched one video on J Krishnamurti's teaching, and it left me pondering! He mentioned how all of us are trying to 'become somebody' all the time. For instance, "I am okay in my job, but I am trying to be better"; or "Now I don't get time for doing something, but once my children grow up, I will do it", etc. It seems we are trying to change from our present state to something perceived better in future, as if we are in a perennial race to reach somewhere. That is why the need of psychologists and psychiatrists has increased tremendously.

If we look seriously, somehow our society's culture doesn't encourage us to reflect on such things until it is too late. We are so wrapped up with egotistical things, career, family, having enough money, getting a new car, etc.--- we are involved in millions of little things just to keep going. So we don't get into the habit of standing back and looking at our lives and saying, "Is this all I want? Is something missing?"

Unless we 'stop' and reflect on what we are doing, whether through meditation or spending some time alone, and realign our priorities so as to 'live' some of the things now which we have relegated to some time in future, we can't be happy and peaceful. Actually there is no race, and there is absolutely no need trying to 'become' someone else, as we are complete in ourselves. We have to start living our lives 'mindfully' as they say in Buddhism, which means that whatever we do, we do with full attention. Then our present will become stress-free and joyful!






No comments:

Post a Comment